Back at the Emerging technology conference I presented a quick and dirty makeover of several popular web 2.0 sites and UI idioms (See slides for my talk: data vs. design). The fun and much loved Del.icio.us was one and here’s a makeover recap.
Step 1. The popular page
- If you’re a data centric site, be fast, clean and lean.
- Use a grid or basic columns to frame the layout, and speed user eye movement.
- Trim extra text – especially if you’re repeating things every line.
- Use colors to signify and speed understanding, grouping data together (high / medium / low) to speed comprehension.
- (And yes I cheated in some screenshots as the examples don’t match perfectly – but you got the idea, didn’t you?)
Have a popular site you’d like me to throw some design mojo at? Name it.