One of the promises made in The Myths of Innovation, was a commitment to research accuracy. The book was heavily researched and footnoted, but it became clear to me how even the most heavily researched book can still have errors and mistakes.
This page is a living chronology of corrections, updates and fixes. In Sept 2010 the paperback edition of Myths was released, and all known issues, reported by readers and fans, were corrected.
Issues in Hardcover 2007 edition (Fixed in 2010 paperback)
- Research accuracy
- Pg 128, Dewey. John Dewey did not invent the Dewey decimal system. Melvil Dewey, no relation, did in 1876. (Confirmed error)
- Pg 115, it is written that the Japanese invented firearms years before Europeans. However the reference to “The Evolution of Technology”, p. 189, doesn’t mention this, and on the contrary p. 188 states that firearms were introduced to the Japanese by the Portuguese in 1543. (Investigating)
- Fixed Typos
- Pg 12 Fennyman should be Feynman.
- Pg 19: “the Stone is a more of” should be “The stone is more of”.
- Pg 39 Goethe quote is possibly mis-attributed (see also).
- Pg 43 Middle: Ray Kroc’s name is misspelled “Ray Crok”.
- Pg 43 Craiglist should be Craigslist.
- Pg 49 Craiglist should be Craigslist.
- Pg 49 This well never work -> This will never work.
- Pg 74 Bottom: Von Braun’s name is misspelled as “Van Braun”.
- Pg 74 Bottom: Zworykin is misspelled as Zworkin.
- (Figure 6-4) Pg 89: At bottom of chart: “mediation” should be “meditation”?
- Pg 104 Top: “manager” is misspelled “manger”
- Pg 114 Middle: “affects us” should be than “effects us”?
- Pg 121 Correct Voltaire quote is “The best is the enemy of the good”
- Pg 129 “succeed” should be “succeeded”
- Pg 145 “a matter if time” should be “a matter of time”
- Pg 150: “Businness” should be “Business”
- Pg 150 Middle: “canon” is misspelled “cannon”
- Pg 158 Middle: “Eureka” is misspelled “Eurkea”
If you have something to add, please contact me.
Leave a Reply