I’m looking to hire someone to play a unique role in my next book.
(UPDATE: Position FILLED – Please do not apply)
The plan is to self-publish a collection of my best writings to date, from essays, to blog posts, to magazine articles. But the goal is to avoid the traps of most “blog posts in a bundle” books – which usually stink. They’re not edited or curated well enough to work as a book. We will do much better than this.
My plan: I’m hiring an editor who will act as a both a project leader and collaborator. Which essays to use? How should it be organized? How can 1200 articles and essays be hand-picked and sculpted down to make for a fantastic read? This is a rare opportunity for a kick-ass editor to do more than be an editing slave. You will both help craft the themes of the book, suggest some new content, and then passionately drive it through the publishing process, from copyedits, to reviews, all the way to fruition, with no bureaucracy: it’s just me, you and a few other hand-picked people we choose.
Here are the responsibilities:
- Drive the curation and organization of the book
- Be the main leader for the self-publishing process: you are the PM
- Suggest and provoke me to write new material if needed
- Partner with a graphic/book designer on the cover, and interior design
- Use the readers of scottberkun.com to help drive some choices
- lead a team of volunteer copy-editors / indexers / etc.
Here are the rewards:
- I’d pay you a flat fee. Won’t be much, but it will be something.
- You’ll get your name on the cover of the book – a super-duper credit for your resume
- If you’re a fan, you’ll get a unique opportunity to define one of my books
- More influence over a book then you will ever have
- You have experience editing books, from copy-editing to production
- You’ve always wanted to contribute to a beautiful, well-crafted, book that defies convention in favor of smart, clever ideas for book design
- You are really fucking smart
- You are really fucking funny/sarcastic
- You are not offended by the word fuck
- You are organized, self-directed, and can lead a project with many parts
- You are psyched about this for reasons other than money
- Bonus points for being a fan, or being familiar with my writings
1. Why aren’t you (Scott) working with O’Reilly Media again?
The main reason is to do an experiment – what happens if I/we have control over the entire process? I’m sure I’ll learn things about writing books I couldn’t learn any other way. What would happen if I/we didn’t need anyone’s approval for anything? I want to find out.
2. How will you self-publish it?
There are great options these days that make self-publishing transparent to readers – fans can buy the book via amazon or kindle and never know. Details TBD by the editor/curator.
3. When does this start?
The project starts as soon as I find you. The plan would be to publish the book either late this fall, or early next spring.
- Email me: info at scottberkun dot com
- With the subject: I kick ass
- Please include: Your editing resume, your favorite cocktail, and who in the world you’d most like to anonymously poke in the eye