The happier twin brother of idea killers are idea growers. Things you can say in response to ideas to help them grow.
Unlike idea killers, these statements act as idea fertilizer, helping them to grow, find homes, make friends, and grow from ideas into solutions. Instead of ending conversations, they always provide a path for the idea to move forward, grow, or be the seed for other ideas.
(Thanks to Jennie Zehmer for suggesting this)
- Great idea, keeping going with it.
- What do you need to make this work?
- How can I help you?
- Whose support do you need?
- I’ll stay as late as you do to write this proposal tonight.
- How much time will it take to flesh this out?
- Good, lets make a prototype and see if it holds together.
- This is better than sex.
- Here’s a blank check and the corner office.
- Drop what you’re doing and focus on this.
- Talk to Fred, our smartest guy, and see what he thinks.
- What can you add to this to make it better?
- What should change to help make this happen?
- E-mail this out to the team and see what support you can get.
- Lets run with this and see where it goes.
- This rocks!
- This has potential.
- Make it happen.
- What can we cut to make room for this?
- What’s the next step?
Can you name others you’ve heard or said?