The good news is my next book is well underway. As many of you know, I quit my job at WordPress.com a few weeks ago. It was time to get back to work filling the bookshelf and I’m happy to report some good news.
The next book is based on the journal I kept while working at WordPress.com. It tells the story of what I learned working for one of the most amazing companies in the world.
They do some unusual things most workplaces would never do:
- Everyone works remotely – from home or wherever they wish around the world
- They rarely use email – it’s mostly blogs and chat programs
- Employees get as much vacation as they choose
- Every employee works in support for their first 3 weeks
- There is high autonomy – people decide how to work best and (to some degree) what they’ll work on
- For the 15th most popular website in the world, they have only ~100 employees.
I worked there for 18 months and the book follows my journey from the first day through to the last. It explores all the great things I experienced, learned, struggled with and discovered while trying to make great software.
I’m in the process of looking for a publisher. I have some editors I’d love to work with who I’m reaching out to, but if you happen to be an awesome editor at an amazing publisher, I’d like to hear from you. [Update:I signed a deal with Jossey-Bass]
If you leave a comment, I’ll make sure you get an email when the book comes out.