Along the way to writing The Ghost of My Father, I came across many stories of famous people who had difficult relationships with one or more of their parents. The samples are too random to assign any particular significance, as I learned in my own research, family estrangements are common. Are they more common among famous families or with children who become stars? Hard to say.
Here’s the rundown:
- Jennifer Aniston: her mother, Nancy Aniston, wrote a memoir about their troubled history. They have recently reconciled.
- Steven Spielberg: many of his early films center on absent fathers, a reflection of his experiences as a young adult.
- Macaulay Culkin: has been estranged from his father for many years.
- Michael Jackson: well documented history of abuse at the hands of his father, Joe Jackson
- Adele: her father has made several public pleas to reconnect with her and her family
- Tom Cruise: his father was absent for most of his life
- Demi Lovato: her father Patrick Lovato died while estranged from his daughter
- Kate Hudson: has stated “my biological father doesn’t know me from a hole in the wall”
- Drew Barrymore: she doesn’t speak to her mother anymore
- Lindsay Lohan; There is a long history of conflict and estrangements between her and her father, too many to mention
- Jay-Z: his father was absent for most of his life, but they did meet before he died