On Tuesday 1/28 I’ll be doing a free, live webcast (register here) about public speaking, hosted by O’Reilly Media.
NOTE: The webcast happened and you missed it. The slides and Q&A can be found here.
In Confessions of A Public Speaker I explained how to deal with 17 difficult speaking situations. In the webcast I’ll coach you through some of them, or the ones you ask for in comments:
- You’re being heckled
- Everyone is staring at their laptops / phones
- Your time slot gets cut from 45 to 10 minutes
- Everyone in the room hates you
- One guy won’t stop asking questions
- There is a rambling question that makes no sense
- You are asked an impossible question
- The microphone breaks
- Your laptop explodes
- There is a typo on your slide (nooooooo!)
- You’re late for you’re own talk
- You feel sick
- You’re running out of time
- You left your slides at home
- Your hosts are control freaks
- You have a wardrobe malfunction
- There are only 5 people in the audience
Would you like me to cover any of these in the webcast? Or are there other situations you want to learn to handle better?
Leave a comment and I’ll consider covering it in the webcast. Thanks.