I was inspired by Picasso’s movie The Mystery of Picasso (discussed in the Myths of Innovation), and Matt Wiley’s video of page design, where they bravely work, and makes mistakes, in front of a camera, showing what creating things looks like.
Here’s the video with audio commentary: flip to the HD version, which makes it easier to see what I’m doing.
And here is the live version (different commentary), performed at Ignite Seattle:
Stats on the essay:
- The final essay is here: how to write 1000 words
- It took ~150 minutes to write.
- I wrote it over 2 days.
- Yes, this is a hack of the ignite format. Hacks are good, as I’ve explained before.
- The video is 30x normal speed.
- Michael Pick helped tremendously with doing the time-lapse capture and production.
For more advice on writing: