Eleven Fourteen years ago 2996 people died during the events of 9/11/2001. It was a tragic day for thousands of innocent people whose lives were taken. It’s impossible to understand the significance of the day for surviving family and friends.
From a colder, mathematical perspective, I’ve wondered what the total cost in lives has been since that morning. How connected these deaths are or are not to each other is up to you. With a few hours of research I compiled the math, with sources marked as follows:
WP = Wikipedia, CRS = Congressional Research Service, AP = Associated Press, DoD = U.S. Department of Defense
Deaths on 9/11/01: 2,996 (including 19 hijackers)
Injured on 9/11/01: 6000 (WP, but source needed)
The Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan:
- U.S. armed forces deaths in Iraq: 4422 (FAS, U.S. DoD)
- U.S. armed forces injured in Iraq: 32,229 (FAS, U.S. DoD)
- Coalition force deaths: 4,799 (WP, with sources)
- Coalition forces injured: unknown
- Contractor deaths: 1487 (WP, with sources)
- Iraqi civilian deaths: 100,000 (AP, lowest of several estimates)
- Iraqi civilians wounded: unknown
- Iraqi military (supporting allies) deaths: 16,623 (WP, with sources)
- Iraqi military (insurgent) deaths: 26,320 (WP, with sources)
- U.S. armed forces killed in Afghanistan: 1980 (WP / CRS)
- U.S. armed forces wounded in Afghanistan: 17,519 (WP / CRS)
- Afghanistan civilian deaths (since 2007): 6478 (U.N. report)
- Afghanistan military deaths: unknown (BBC)
- Total deaths: 179,628
- Total casualties: 55,748
I don’t have any commentary. These numbers are staggering, no matter how you connect them or not.
Please check my math and my sources and note corrections in the comments. I’d be thrilled to see these stats vetted and improved. It was bewildering to go through all the reports and studies to compile even this list, as many reports show similar data in slightly different ways with different sources. I’m sure I’ve made mistakes, I’m just not sure where.
[references updated 9-11-15]